With health concerns, new rules regarding the use of masks, and social distancing requirements, many Phoenicians are opting for a relaxing and enjoyable staycation this year over the hassles and risks of the usual summer travel. And because of the fantastic climate that we enjoy almost year-round, spending a few weeks at home just rejuvenating from the stress of the last few months is not all that bad, especially if you have a resort-style backyard complete with a beautiful pool and spa combo and fabulous outdoor living space.
But what can you do if your backyard is lacking in the luxurious and relaxing vibe that you are yearning to enjoy? The answer is simple. Click here or make a single call to 480-969-1911 to schedule a free consultation with a UNIQUE design team member. We are a full-service outdoor living space contractor that is licensed to install landscape, pools, and spas as well as building outdoor structures. Anything that you can dream of creating in your outdoor space, the UNIQUE team can bring to life.
Make Your Staycation A Great Investment
Researchers have found that the average family spends between 5 and 10% of their annual income on vacation each year. So with a household income of roughly $250,000, the vaca budget is between $12,500 and $25,000 each year. So what are you going to do with that money this year? You are not spending it on airfare, a resort, or an Airbnb. Why not invest that money to increase the value of your most significant and most secure asset, your home?
What The Experts Say About Curb Appeal
In general, real estate experts agree that a professional landscape design can provide a return on investment of an amazing 200-400%. And while you are letting that massive number sink in, think about one more thing. Professional upkeep and updates of your home’s landscape and outdoor space can contribute as much as 25% of your home’s overall value. It really is true that curb appeal is essential. It helps attract the buyer’s attention and affection when you are selling. But it also wins over the appraiser when you are merely exploring the current value of your home.
How Badly Do You Want To Take A Dip At Home?
Traditionally, swimming pools have not been considered a good investment in terms of return on investment. But the Phoenix market is a bit different than the rest of the country. The intensity of the summer temps and the length of the swimming season both bode well for installing a swimming pool. When you are looking at hard numbers, a professionally designed and installed swimming pool can bring as much as a 65% ROI when you sell your home. And that is a significant number compared to the 10-15% that it would bring in another region.
But a swimming pool brings more to the table than just the ROI. There is a visual appeal that grabs the attention of many homebuyers. Real estate professionals will tell you that a house with a magnificent pool will sell faster than a home with no pool. Most people see a swimming pool and envision hours of fun and relaxation with family and friends. And you also need to factor in the years of fun and enjoyment that you will share with your family. That should more than cover the roughly 35% of the value that you will not recover when selling your home.
Some Key Features For A Strong Landscape Investment
Some key features are known to add immense value to a professional landscape design. So keep these in mind when you are discussing your options with a UNIQUE landscape designer:
- PRIVACY- Privacy is a significant factor for many home buyers. Almost 60% of buyers place this feature at the top of their new home wish list when considering outdoor features and must-haves.
- TREES- Trees are a great way to achieve privacy and enjoy added benefits like shade and increased beauty. A single mature tree can add over $7,000 to the sale price of a home in Phoenix. Think about the strategic placement of large trees to create privacy, shade your home to lower the cost of cooling, and add beauty to your view.
- PICK THE RIGHT PLANTS- Low maintenance is vital for many homeowners. Easy-care plants limit the time invested or cost to hire someone else to provide maintenance. It also limits the debris in your yard. No one wants to sit outside and watch leaves and dried up flowers blowing into the pool. Don’t worry if you are not sure which plants are considered low maintenance. Your UNIQUE design pro can assist you in selecting a beautiful but easy to maintain plant palette.
- ADDED LIVING SPACE- Adding patio space to your home is the most cost-effective way to increase your living space. You are almost guaranteed to see a full return of your investment when you have added patio space professionally installed.
- OTHER DESIRABLE FEATURES- With the addition of outdoor living space, think about including a shade structure, fire pit, and outdoor kitchen to your design. All of these features add enjoyment and function to the extra space, are considered desirable by homebuyers, and increase the value of your home.
Make Your UNIQUE Swimming Pool Irresistible
When working with your UNIQUE design pro, it can be helpful to know what features buyers love when they see a pool in the backyard. Some of the most popular features to attract a buyers eye include:
- WATERFALL OR WATER FEATURE- Any feature that adds visual appeal and provides the sound of moving water is a huge plus. A water feature will create a focal point for your outdoor space. And the sound of moving water will function as grey noise to block out traffic sounds and make your backyard feel like a villa tucked away on a private island.
- AUTOMATION- While everyone wants to enjoy a new swimming pool, no one wants to take care of it. The solution is the automation of the cleaning and sanitization of your pool. It will eliminate the need to take a chemistry refresher course to maintain balanced and healthy pool water. And you will know that anytime you are ready for a refreshing dip in the pool, it will be clean and ready for you to enjoy.
- OTHER DESIRABLE FEATURES- To add to your enjoyment and functionality of your pool, consider including a Baja step, swim-up bar, or water jets. All of these features will intrigue potential buyers and add endless hours of enjoyment for you and your family.
Make The Most Of The Evening Hours
Finally, don’t forget to plan for many hours of enjoyment from your landscape and outdoor living space in the winter months. The sun sets much earlier in the winter. Without professionally installed landscape lighting, you will be sitting in the dark, unable to see the beauty of your outdoor space. Not only will buyers appreciate the ability to enjoy the added outdoor living space in the evenings, but they will also place a premium on the feeling of added security. While you are familiar and comfortable in your neighborhood, a new buyer might not feel as secure. But when the warm glow of landscape lighting lights the entire outdoor space, there is an increased feeling of safety. A few well-placed fixtures in the landscape and lights clearly marking steps and pavement transitions will make guests or new homeowners feel right at home. So don’t forget to ask your UNIQUE design pro about professional landscape lighting.
With everything going on this year, you might not be too worried about missing the annual trip to the beach or to experience a new place and culture. But the added stress and concern of the global pandemic is precisely why you and your loved ones need the relaxation and rejuvenation of a resort-quality staycation. And when you add in the bonus of increasing the value and desirability of your home, it is truly a win/win. Click here or call 480-969-1911 to schedule a free consultation with a member of the UNIQUE design to learn more about creating your perfect backyard and making the ideal investment in your home.